Why Join A Music Teachers Association?
- Participate in local chapter events and workshops
- Engage with music professionals at educational district conferences
- Become a nationally certified teacher
- Build relationships with other teachers in your local area
- Attend annual state and national conferences
- Receive the scholarly journal, The American Music Teacher
- Apply for grant opportunities through the MTNA Foundation
How Can I Join the Edmonds Music Teachers Association?
- Come to a general chapter meeting, and complete membership form
- Contact membership chair and receive a membership form
- Join online at www.mtna.org
How can the Edmonds Music Teachers Association benefit my students?
Adjudications: A wonderful educational opportunity, adjudications provide students with an opportunity to receive evaluation with a state certified adjudicator. Evaluations take place in March.
Community Recitals: Two or three times per year, students have the opportunity to perform for senior citizens, and other local communities.
Musicianship Festival: This springtime festival provides students an opportunity to participate in the Washington State Music Teachers Association (WSMTA) Examination Program. Students enter in multiple events: performance, sight reading, rhythms, technique, ear training, composition, and special projects. All students receive ribbons based on accomplishments.
Scholarships: High school students may apply for the Joan E. Brown Scholarship. Scholarship awarded based on performance or composition (30%), non-musical community activities (30%), musical community activities (30%) and an essay (10%).
Time Era Festival: Traditionally held in November, this festival celebrates the major eras of music: Baroque, Classical, Romantic and Contemporary. We rotate through each of the four, and focus on one per year. Participants receive ribbons.
Young Composers: A statewide program to encourage students to compose their own music. Winners perform at the Annual Student Awards Gala, and the annual WSMTA conference.