Jazz, Rags, and Blues Festival
Concert: Friday, October 13, 2023, time TBA
Festival: Saturday, October 14, 2023, 8 am-6 pm
Application Deadline: September 26, 2023 or until 75 students have registered
Visiting Artists: TBA
The festival will consist of two sessions: A masterclass and a workshop. Each session will be ½ hour to 1 hour long. The festival will be held from 8am-6pm at Edgewood Baptist Church, 20406 76th Ave W, Edmonds, WA 98026.
Masterclass: During the masterclass the visiting artist will work with each student as well as write a brief evaluation. The adjudicator may recognize exceptional student performances with a gold seal on their certificate. Certificates will be mailed to the student’s teacher after the festival. At the conclusion of the festival the adjudicator will select up to three best of festival awards for junior (ages 12 and under) and senior (ages 13+) levels with up to three alternates for each. All best of festivals need to come across as authentically in the style of jazz, rags or blues. Students receiving a best of festival will perform in the EMTA Student Awards Gala in June. These results will be posted on the website after teachers and students are made aware of them by email.
Workshop: The workshop will consist of group activities and exercises on the keyboard that explore improvisation and jazz techniques.
Requirements for Participation:
- Pieces must be works representing the Jazz, Rags or Blues styles. These include but are not limited to pieces from method book series (i.e. Martha Mier, Nancy and Randall Faber, etc.) and original transcriptions (i.e. Chick Corea, Art Tatum). Improvisations based on lead sheets are not allowed.
- Memorization is encouraged but not required. Only memorized pieces will be eligible for gold seals.
- Performance and workshop times will be held between 8AM and 6PM. Time requests and changes may be considered but cannot be guaranteed. Students will be scheduled in groups according to age for a maximum of 2 hour duration (up to 1 hour masterclass, 1 hour workshop).
- Festival/Workshop Registration Fee: $35 per student for one 5 minute or less piece, $45 for one 6-10 minute piece. Only one piece is permitted due to time constraints.
- Registration will be completed on the EMTA website (edmondsmusicteachers.org) and is due no later than midnight on September 26, 2023 or until 75 students have registered. Please note the style of your piece on the registration form, whether it is a Rag, Blues or Jazz piece.
Students will be able to purchase $5 student and $10 parent tickets in advance ($20 at door) for the concert. Concert tickets can be purchased on the Jotform festival registration.
Please have your students start working on a piece either before summer break or during the summer months so they are prepared for the October 14 festival.
Questions? Please contact Festival Coordinators: Valerie Gathright, Marie Wollam-Mergler and Cathy Baylor